Monday 1 October 2012

Marble Slab Creamery

I'm sorry I keep neglecting you folk. Thursday last week, the building I live in had an open house for realtors, which included tasty free food, and on Friday, I was at the Ontario University Fair, and after my shift, I had a very nice sushi lunch. And today, I was not in the plaza for lunch.

But!

Tonight I craved ice cream, so we went to Marble Slab. In the plaza! For my people! Er...

Anyhow, I'm really glad they now have a "small", which is 5 oz of ice cream. Previously, the "regular" was 8 oz, and that's seriously a lot of ice cream, particularly since their ice cream is 13% fat.

I think it's probably somehow déclassé, but I actually like this ice cream, and I have since they moved in. It's kind of anti-gelato (Gelato Fresco is more like 7% fat), but I enjoy the rich flavour of Marble Slab, and I like its texture.

It varies a lot what I get there: often, I get the fruit flavours, with fruit mixins, but this time, it was mocha, with coconut flakes added. I enjoyed it, and we had a good walk around campus with the dog. She enjoyed sniffing at trees and trash. All told, not a bad evening.

I had: A small cone of mocha ice cream, mixed with coconut flakes
I paid: $5.40.
Verdict:
Speed: Fine. It's made in front of you, so the preparation is part of the "entertainment" aspect of your ice cream.
Quality: So, this isn't brilliant, and it's "made in store", but I'm pretty sure that the "making" consists of dropping a bunch of mixes into ice cream freezers: Marble Slab is a franchise business. It's certainly consistent.
Value: Well, super-rich ice cream is expensive, and buying small-sized cones is the least money-efficient way to get it. They do sell by the litre and half litre, and I probably should just bring some of that home some time. I don't feel ripped off, though. Partly, it's expensive because the Canadian Dairy Board keeps milk and cream prices in Canada amazingly high.
Would go back: Yeah, sure. I probably should be more excited about either of the two gelato places here, but sometimes, you gotta eat the fattening stuff.

[And, sadly, because of this blog, I'll be eating at TCBY, before too long...]

No comments:

Post a Comment