Thursday 6 September 2012

Kismet

It's a Bengali place, but I think the food still largely fits the UK curry pattern. Today's lunch was the "fairly hot" chicken pathia, which wikipedia tells me is a UK curry, not from the subcontinent.

Regardless, it's tasty, but not exciting: it's sour, sweet and hot, but also kind of thin: I think it's primarily a tomato-based curry, but there's nothing to it other than just five hunks of (fairly dry) chicken breast floating in a sea of sauce: no potatoes or other veggies, say. I had it with garlic naan, which I do like, but I kind of wish there were more to pick up with the bread!

This place has existed for quite a while, and is a spinoff of a no-longer-controlled-by-them restaurant on Phillip Street (my lunch companion suggested that we should actually draw a map of which restaurants share origins with which other ones).

Having gone many times, I can note that I really should just stop getting the lunch curries: a tastier lunch, for example, is the mulligatawny with a handful of onion bhajia, say. I'm not sure why I always get curry with garlic naan.

I had: chicken pathia with garlic naan
I paid: Well, I didn't; my companion did. But I think he paid $24 for his lunch and mine, and he had a lassi
Verdict:
Speed: Good, and it usually is. We had a lot to talk about, but the food probably arrived within 8 minutes or so.
Quality: Not bad, but not brilliant. I'd prefer it if their meat curries were more veggie-heavy; it otherwise feels kind of like a few hunks of meat in soup.
Value: I don't think it's great, honestly: the cost of putting together the various curry sauces isn't that high, as they don't include expensive ingredients. And there's not a lot of meat in the meat curries, either. That's part of why I don't go all that often.
Would go back: I go roughly every few months, and I expect that'll continue.

4 comments:

  1. What Kismet does really well is naan. In fact, what I often do is make Indian or Indian-inspired food at home, and get Craig to pick up naan from Kismet on the way home from work, which works pretty well. The actual food at Kismet has never impressed me very much, though it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the naan really is good. I've enjoyed the fried tidbits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate here recently. The naan is quite good, but I found the (admittedly, I was warned) spicy dal to be a bit too spicy for me. Great flavor, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad. I haven't been to Curry in a Hurry yet in this process, but I expect Kismet to be better.

      Really, the whole plaza is full of either "ew" or "it's not bad". I'm hoping to find better...but likely won't.

      Delete