Tuesday 25 September 2012

Aunty's Cafe

This one's in the same plaza as McGinnis Front Row. I think it may have changed names recently? Not sure. I vaguely remember a juice bar in that storefront, previously.

This place is Pakistani, I think: biryanis, UK-style curries, and shawarmas and the type. After yesterday's debacle, I actually asked, "what's good?", and when I said I wanted spicy food, I was steered to the chicken biryani. Foolishly, I got the combo with naan, but it's my fault I got rice with bread.

I wouldn't say it was very spicy, but it was pretty good. Anise, clove, bay (I think? I don't think it was curry leaves), maybe some cinnamon in the rice seasonings. It came with a spicy raita (in a shot glass!), which did make it more flavourful. The chicken was a drumstick, and was decent if unexciting. (Fun fact: drumsticks are now the cheapest part of the chicken, now that wings are so popular.)

The combo includes a drink, so I did get a bottle of mango juice. I think this is one of those places where it's impossible to get water not in a bottle (grr!); it also has no visible bathroom (nor, really, even a place for one to exist).

I had: chicken biryani, naan, mango juice
I paid: $8.48
Verdict:
Speed: Excellent: my food was ready as I finished paying. (Then again, this isn't hard: biryani is a casserole...)
Quality: Tasty. Vegetables would make this meal better, but again, it was my own damn fault that I got it with naan, not salad. (I also could've gotten it with fries, and then I'd be even more full than I am.)
Value: Pretty good. I mean, it's not exactly expensive ingredients: rice plus oil plus spices plus a chicken drumstick. But I don't feel ripped off at all; I'm quite full.
Would go back: Maybe. It was pretty crowded (there are very, very few tables), and I was there before noon. I don't know what it's like in the middle of lunchtime.

6 comments:

  1. A convincing analysis. How many more venues before the cycle is complete? Or does the plaza spout new ones as quickly as one can sample them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm roughly 25% done, maybe 30%? Yesterday, while I was despairing of more meals like Monday's, I considered counting, but then didn't, as I thought it might be depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dan! I'm enjoying the blog! I hope you find at least one place that's worth going to for the late nights in the lab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hey Trevor! Thanks for the comments. I just feel guilty that I've not had much to say for this month: I was in Slovenia for 8 days, and now I'm off to Portugal on Wednesday. So I've hardly made a dent.

    So far, the closest to a surprise keeper is probably Waterloo SOGO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush to get through the whole plaza ;) Hope the traveling is fun!

      Delete
  5. Hi Dan, I'm absolutely loving your blog! I was very impressed by how you were able to pick up the spices in the biryani, especially the cinnamon in the rice!

    I wanted to invite you to Aunty's to try out our best selling dish - the Fusion - it's essentially a shawarma plate with a Pakistani twist to it! Would love to hear what you think about it!

    Best.
    Zahid - Owner Aunty's Cafe

    ReplyDelete